Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What is the name of the fizzy German "new wine"?

When I was working in Germany, there were a couple of weeks (in September, I think) when we could get this fizzy wine drink that was from the first opening of the wine kegs as they were aging. It was sweet and very fizzy, with kind of a yeasty taste. Can someone please tell me what that is called? I was thinking it was something like rote-weisse, but I can't find anything online about it. I think wine is processed differently in the US so that product doesn't even exist here.

What is the name of the fizzy German "new wine"?
It is literally called "Neuwein". I did a study abroad in Germany several times, and this was one of the most anticipated times amongst the people I knew in the area. If I remember correctly, the wine had not had time to properly alcoholize (I know it's not a word, but you know what I mean), so it only had 2-4% alcohol content. It was sweeter than normal wine, and slightly carbonated. It is a lot faster to produce, since one does not need to leave the wine in the casks, but is only done at the certain time of year to allow for the best taste. "Rot-weisse" would literally just translate into "Red-white".





I hope that helps!


No comments:

Post a Comment